Monday, March 24, 2014

Blog #13


Analyze stories/excerpts from your transcript.  Select and post sections of your interview transcript which you might use to make a point in your essay. (you might need to listen to your recording to fill in words/make sure you have them right for these stories).   In this post, include:

1. the story/section  from your transcript = with your mark up like we did in class

2. some writing about the way language is used, the story features, or the discourses (stereotypes, cultural stories) the excerpt illustrates or connects to
3. a statement of what you might use the excerpt to "show" with respect to a focus of your paper.

You should pick out at least 3 excerpts from your transcript and do some analysis for each one.
A. 

1.
G: well you can begin, do you think terms of texting are used in common speech or in your students papers or anything
E: umm you know what, umm okay so I teach here at kean and I have taught English 2020 which is writing, I am now teaching 3090 which is business and professional writing and I have taught uhh wrting for cyberpance which is 3080 and I have also for the past 8 semesters taught graduate students online at Rutgers, um in a web base multi media for a design course and they all have to uhh give me papers that are formatted appropriately depending you know if its apa or mla and in terms of things they are submitting, the kids that I see face to face are obviously not having the same discussions that my online students are having, and my online students are grad students but that does not necessarily mean that the content is any less you know. I mean they can very easily you know start talking to each other the way that you know maybe my undergrad students would
2. 
The professor is saying that the students can talk differently because of the classes being taken but she believes that texting is not really effecting the way the students are typing or talking for that matter. It may be because the courses she is teaching but even in writing for cyberspace the students know what is appropriate and not appropriate. 
3. 
Whether the class is web based or meeting face to face, the students may speak differently but nonetheless never really speak or write in texting lingo. 

B.
1.
E: so you know ill say that probably, and I even have a habit of, ill throw in smiley faces at the end of my emails, sometimes ill question whether or not its approrpirate but I want to come off as being nice or friendly so ill use them. That’s something that you know prior to texting I never would have been doing. Um my students in papers and things like that I do see it, you know they are not spelling later, l8r you know that’s not like, I don’t, I have not seen where its transcended the boundary between the screen and you know papers that they submit to me in person. But I hear it’s a problem but ive yet to see it. Maybe its because I don’t have comp and maybe you know in comp they switch but I don’t know
G: yeah you didn’t experience it
2.
The professor is saying the appropriateness for the students when lingo is or is not being used. She also states that there is a time to throw in things like smiley faces but out of friendliness because that is the era we are in. 
3.
Are things like smiley faces appropriate for professional use or is it okay to use when coming off friendly for student/ teacher relationships. 

C. 
1. 
E: that being said um as long as they are following me with the discussion I have no problem but I don’t not see like my kids last semester, none of them would like pull out their cellphone and start you know texting or whatever, like ever. And you know a lot of them told me that they prefer using their notebooks and I was like amazed. And I said okay this is great, either im just really lucky or like you know they are not rude about it. I will say this semester, I do have some kids that will just leave their phones out and ill see them outright just texting and stuff and I actually called them out on it Tuesday night. And  I said trust me I see every little thing that youre doing, I was a student at one point and I know what goes on, I know if im bored in a classroom or irritated because a student is being distracting, or if im thinking about other things and I might use my phone but for the most part the only thing  that would concern me is that, its really rude.  I said you don’t se me texting my friends or fiancé when I don’t feel like dealing with or talking about a particular topic youre not understanding cause you didn’t do a reading or something. You know what I mean, it’s a two way street and ya know could you just be respectful basically. Um I haven’t really talked about it with my collegues, although I will say that a long time ago Linda Best, I don’t know if you remember Dr. Best but she used to be chair and she said that in order to keep her students from texting or phoning in the classroom she said that the first day of class she actually had her husband call her at the start of class and while she was writing on the board she was talking to him and she wanted to show them how incredibly rude it is to text or talk on the phone or something. Cause you know, they are looking at her like youre the professor, why aren’t you paying attention to us- what are you doing and I was like that is brilliant. And so I remember that and I was like that is such a good thing to do and I seriously considered doing it but I really haven’t had much of an issue with it, but if it gets bad I will definetly try to pull something like that at some point.
G: so you would never want your students to use their phones for note taking or

2. 
This is making the students see how rude it is when they are texting in the classroom, the teacher then later says that if the students were to use their phones for notetaking it would be completely acceptable. 
3.
If students are not texting or facebooking then using their phones in the classroom should be totally acceptable.  Bringing in the options for note taking not just with paper and pen but with a phone or an ipad in the future should be highly considered. Teachers are either fully for it or fully against it, there should be a gray area or compromise. 



No comments:

Post a Comment