Monday, February 3, 2014

Blog #3

There are many new terms that I have learned over the past two weeks in class. Although we have only had three classes did learn a lot in just a short amount of time. Although I have heard of some of the terms, I now have a much deeper understanding of them. The new terms I have learned are:

Analysis: When first thinking of analysis in the past I would just think of something as a summary; however, now I know that an analysis is a review/breakdown, it is picking apart into pieces to make meaning of something, it is also known for a detailed summary.

Discourse: Although I am not 100% certain what discourse means yet, each class I get a better understanding of the term. So far I know that it is language in use, the way we use meanings, language use--> behavior--> values. It can also  have to do with cultural connections.

Lexis: I learned that lexis is not just one of my best friends names and it has a meaning in the english world of "language within discourse".

Shaggy Dog Stories: Prior to taking this class I had absolutely no idea what a shaggy dog story was. However, I now know that it is a folktale/trope that is not serious. It is a story that you will most likely need prior knowledge to understand, they all end in a pun and knowing the punch line in each will definitely help the audience in finding the humor.

** These are just a couple of the terms I have learned over the past three classes and I look forward to learning more.



No comments:

Post a Comment